Paid Family Leave – EDD Resources (ENGLISH)
Paid Family Leave (PFL)
- If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19
- Maximum 6 weeks (8 weeks from 07/01/2020)
- Benefit amounts are approximately 60-70% of wages (depending on income) and range from $50-$1,300 a week.
- Need physician/practitioner’s certificate
File a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim online through SDI Online: https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/SDI_Online.htm
*Client must complete Part A, B, and C
*Care Recipient’s Physician/Practitioner must complete Part D
When To Submit A Claim:
- Submit client’s claim no earlier than the first day client’s family leave begins, but no later than 41 days after client’s family leave begins, or client may lose benefits.
- Do not submit duplicates of the same claim. This will delay claim processing.
Required Client Information for Part A
- First and last name
- Client and Care Recipient
- Social Security card
- California Driver License number.
- Most current employer’s business name, phone number, and mailing address (as stated on the client’s W-2 or paystub).
Provide the information below ONLY if it applies:
- Any wages client received or expect to receive from the client’s employer (sick leave, paid-time-off (PTO), vacation pay, annual leave, and wages earned after the client stopped working).
- Any workers’ compensation claim information, if applicable.
Required Client Information for Part B
- If you submitted a client’s PFL Bonding or Care application through SDI Online, you will need to submit additional documents to complete the client’s claim.
- Attach Additional Documentation Required:
- Bonding – New Mother: No additional documents needed
- Bonding – Other Parents: Proof of Relationship document such as Child’s Birth Certificate
- Care Claims: The Care Recipient’s Authorization for Disclosure of Personal Health Information.
Required Client Information for Part C
- Statement of Care Recipient, signed by the care recipient or their authorized representative.
Physician/Practitioner Completes Part D
- Medical Certification
- Physician/Practitioner’s Certification completed and signed by the care recipient’s physician/practitioner.
- The physician/practitioner may submit the certification using SDI Online or the client can have them complete and sign the paper form.
- It is the client’s responsibility to have the physician/practitioner complete and sign the form and submit it to the EDD.
File a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim online through: https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/SDI_Online.htm
PDF version of the Application: https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de2501f-sample.pdf