Get Free Tax Help
Our FREE TAX CLINIC IS NOW OPEN! FROM JANUARY 22 – APRIL 17, 2018
BOOK NOW! (SEE LINKS BELOW)
KYCC’s Volunteer Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, provided by our Community Economic Development unit, offers free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Since its inception in 2006, KYCC’s VITA program has been one of the leaders in providing free tax preparation services for the Los Angeles community.
“It’s estimated that 20% of L.A. County residents are not claiming the Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) who qualify. That’s $566 million dollars not coming back to families and our communities,” reports Audrey Casillas, KYCC Senior Financial Case Manager.
Quality, free tax preparation services will be available from January 22 to April 17, 2018. To qualify for services you must bring all required tax forms, meet basic filing requirements, and make less than $54,000.
Last year, Koreatown Youth and Community Center prepared over 12,000 tax returns and helped return over $14 million in refunds. VITA also assisted 4% of EITC recipients in Los Angeles County. Tax preparation clinics typically costs $50-$250.
- Koreatown Youth and Community Center
- 3727 W. 6th Street, #300
- Los Angeles, CA 90020
- Tuesday/Thursday: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., Saturday: 10:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Languages: Korean and English
- Book Online at http://kycc.youcanbook.me or call (323) 909-1975
- Children’s Bureau at Magnolia Place
- 1910 Magnolia Avenue
- Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Monday/Wednesday: 5:00 – 8:00 p.m., Saturday: 10:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Languages: English and Spanish
- Book Online at http://freetaxes.youcanbook.me or call (323) 909-1975
– FOR CITY OF L.A. RESIDENTS ONLY –
- El Nido Family Centers
- 4060 S. Figueroa Street
- Los Angeles, CA 90037
- Tuesday/Thursday: 2:00 – 7:00 p.m., Saturday: 10:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Languages: English, Spanish, Armenian
- Book Online at http://elnidofsc.youcanbook.me (MUST live in the City of Los Angeles for this location) or call (323) 909-1975
- Bresee Foundation
- 184 Bimini Place
- Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Monday: 10:00 – 1:00 p.m., Wednesday: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Book Online at http://breseefsc.youcanbook.me (MUST live in the City of Los Angeles for this location) or call (213) 387-2822
- 1736 Family Crisis Center
- 2116 S. Arlington Avenue, Suite 250
- Los Angeles, CA 90018
- Tuesday/Wednesday: 4:00 – 8:00 p.m., Saturday: 10:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Book Online at http://1736.youcanbook.me (MUST live in the City of Los Angeles for this location) or call (323) 909-1975
Basic filing requirements include:
– All taxpayers must be present with photo identification
– Original Social Security Cards or ITINs for tax filers and dependents
– Proof of income using forms W-2 and 1099
– Total cash earned and proof of any expenses
– Utility bill (cell phone, gas, or electric)
– Proof of all deductions or credits (1098T for college tuition and receipts for textbooks, letter from childcare provider, mortgage interest + property taxes, proof of donations, etc.)
– Form 1095A if you purchased health insurance through the marketplace (Covered California)
– Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) issued by the IRS (If the IRS provided you with one)
– Previous year’s tax return (optional, but is useful)
– Bank accounting and routing number for direct deposit (optional)
– Note: We can only prepare 2014-2017 tax returns
Returns that are considered Out-of-Scope:
– Incomes more than $62,000
– Self-employed or cash income with business related expenses over $10,000, have a loss, taking expenses with no proof (receipts, documented mileage, etc. are required), employees, inventory deduction, or business property depreciation.
– Cancelled debt income (Forms 1099C and 1099A) for foreclosures or short sales.
– Handwritten tax documents (W-2, 1099, 1098, etc.)
– Returns for visitors, such as “M,” or “Q” visas, that require a 1040NR tax return.
– Rental Income, Foreign Income, Royalty Income, or income from a partnership/corporation (K-1 form)
– Married Filing separately returns (If you are legally married & file alone – you may be a Married Filing Separate taxpayer – this is out of scope and we will not be able to assist you).
Free Tax Prep Los Angeles is a outreach and education initiative to increase awareness of tax credits and free tax return preparation. Each year, 1 out of 5 LA County residents don’t file a return and miss out on the Earned Income Tax Credit and other money owed to them – leaving $566 million unclaimed!
If you or someone you know makes less than the filing requirement – remind them that they can access free tax services and claim a refund that they may be owed.
For more information visit www.freetaxprepla.com