Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
KYCC’s Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC)
We provide free advice and, in some cases, representation for taxpayers who have problems with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). What types of cases can we help with?
There are 4 ways to apply for assistance from our clinic:
- Submit an online application. When you do this, please upload your IRS letters. You will get a faster response if your IRS letters are uploaded. If you do not have a scanner, call (213) 232 -2700 and leave a message with your name and the best time to call you. Yuri will return your call and offer alternatives.
- Download, fill in, then mail in or drop off this form with your IRS letters. If you drop it off, please put it in our lock box outside the door of our office suite.
KYCC LITC application attn: Yuri
3727 W. 6th Street, Suite 410
Los Angeles, CA 90020
- Call (213) 232 – 2700. The LITC assistant often picks up this line, but she is not “on duty” 24 hours a day. She also has other responsibilities. So, if you get a message, please leave your 1) name 2) phone number and 3) the best time of day to call you back. We generally call back individuals in 3 business days on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We can do an interview over the phone to complete the application (if you happen to have time at the time Yuri calls you back – she can interview then) or set another date and time for a phone interview.
- Schedule a 20-minute office or phone intake appointment: Use our online booking system to reserve an appointment to come to our office to do the intake interview in person or over the phone. Please bring your IRS letters when you come.
For COVID safety precautions we do not accept walk-ins. In-office appointments are solely available if you have scheduled an appointment.
Applicants generally must have an IRS controversy, live in Los Angeles County, and have income that does not exceed 250% of the annual Federal Poverty Guidelines (please click here for exact amounts for income eligibility guidelines).
KYCC’s LITC receives funding from the IRS. The clinic, its employees, and volunteers are not affiliated with the IRS. KYCC’s LITC does not prepare tax returns. Please click here for information on how to have your tax returns prepared at no cost.
Problem Solving Days (PSD) with Tax Advocate Service (TAS):
Currently, KYCC LITC hosts a quarterly, by appointment only, PSD with TAS. Have you ever waited for 45 minutes on hold to speak with someone at the IRS only to have the call disconnected? That will not happen if you have a scheduled PSD appointment. We can schedule 8 – 12 appointments in advance with the IRS.
How can I get a PSD appointment?
- Apply online, call (213) 232-2700, or complete this form and mail in 3727 W. 6th St., Ste 410, Los Angeles, CA 90020
- KYCC must receive your IRS letters in advance
- You must sign a consent to email transmission and information release to volunteers
Frequently Asked Questions
Types of Cases
Is the IRS asking you to prove certain items (marital status, income, expenses) on your return? KYCC can assist you with:
- Audits and Examinations
- Wage and ID Verifications
- Shared Responsibility Reconciliations
Do you disagree with the amount of tax that the IRS is saying you will owe? We can assist with:
- U.S. Tax Court Litigation
- Innocent Spouse Relief
Do you already owe taxes that you cannot afford to pay? We can assist with:
- Levies (IRS taking money from your wages or Social Security benefits?)
- Liens on your real estate?
- Collection Issues, including Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Agreements, and Currently Not Collectible Status
Our Clinic works with Pro Bono volunteers to assist with cases. Often, there is more demand than availability and the clinic may put you on a waiting list until an available Pro Bono volunteer can take on a case.
If you call and leave a voicemail, please leave your name, phone number, and the best time of day to call you back. We make a good faith effort to return all calls within 3 business days. We appreciate your patience. If you do the online intake, please leave a message with the best time of day to contact you. We look forward to working with you and appreciate your patience!