Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
IRS Updates due to COVID-19. (rev. March 25, 2020)
- The U.S. Senate is currently debating a stimulus package of the aptly named “CARES Act” or ‘Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.’’
- Be careful of Coronavirus Scams. The FTC has a link of different common ones here. The FTC alerted consumers that there were phone scams on the Recovery Rebates being offered even before the bill passed. The government will never charge a fee or call you and ask for your personal information. Now that it is almost a reality, these scammers will become more aggressive.
- The IRS will have the authority to administer the Recovery Rebates and details are forthcoming. Regularly check this page for updates.
IRS news release IR 2020-59 March 25, 2020 of the “People First Initiative:”
- Taxpayers with an existing Installment Agreement and a payment due between April 1, 2020 – July 15, 2020, payments are suspended.
- Delinquent accounts will not be forwarded to Private Debt Collection Agencies until July 15, 2020.
- Taxpayers in the middle of an EITC or Wage Verification Review have an extended deadline of July 15, 2020 to respond to request for documentation.
- Phone lines have reduced staff and additional wait times.
The IRS has extended deadlines for both tax filing and payments from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020. (This is clarifying initial confusion from Treasury’s initial statement on March 18, 2020 that only payments were extended.)
KYCC’s Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) educates low-income taxpayers on their taxpayer rights and responsibilities and provides pro bono legal tax representation to low-income taxpayers residing in Los Angeles County. Our LITC represents individuals in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), including audits, appeals, collection matters, and federal tax litigation. KYCC’s LITC can also help taxpayers respond to IRS notices and correct account problems. To be eligible for free legal tax representation, clients must have income that does not exceed 250% of the annual Federal Poverty Guidelines (please click here for exact amounts for income eligibility guidelines).
For more information on KYCC’s LITC services, please call (213) 232-2700 or email email@example.com.
Although KYCC’s LITC receives funding from the IRS, the clinic, its employees, and volunteers are not affiliated with the IRS. The LITC does not generally provide tax return preparation services. Please click here for information on how to have your tax returns prepared at no cost.