Residential Tree Planting Guidelines
Your 5 gallon tree* is small now but may grow very tall, depending on the tree you selected. Your tree will need lots of water and growing space to ensure a healthy and proper planting, so please follow the guidelines listed below.
- Call Underground Service Alert (1-800-227-2600) two days before planting to have underground utility lines located on your property. This service is free and can avoid accidents or damage to underground lines.
- Plant 5 feet minimum distance from hardscapes (examples: sidewalks, patios, driveways, pools, walkways).
- Plant 5 feet minimum distance from underground infrastructure (examples: gas and water utilities lines).
- Plant 10 feet minimum distance from foundations/walls if planting small or medium tree.
- Large or Medium trees cannot be planted under overhead utility lines.
*These trees are to be planted on private property; they cannot be planted as street trees in parkways. For free street tree/parkway planting in your neighborhood, please fill out and return a permission to plant form.
More Tree Planting References